Well I started this post when he was a newborn, here is the birth story!
Fully expecting our little baby to comply with my schedule, I was preparing for him to come on the 15th of July, as that was the most convenient day for us. My parent-in-laws came to our house on Sunday night, on Monday Nathan worked and Greg and I sorted out the siding and house stuff and he got materials and whatnot. That evening we went to 101 to eat (my first time, and Nathan had worked there for over a year!) It was delicious and I felt huge and gross looking and ready to not be pregnant any more. There was a lot of talk with Nathan's co-workers about how to go into labor and whatnot.
The plan was then for Tuesday and Wednesday to have Nathan and Greg rip off the old siding and put up the new. However...I went to bed around 12:30 that night and woke up at 2 to pee (of course) and I noticed something felt different, I got up and said something to Nathan about needing to get to bed, but mid sentence I noticed that low and behold my water has broken! So instead I had Nathan grab some things for the hospital bag (it was half packed) and he got a quick shower (when my water broke with Luke I didn't start labor for 4 more hours, I wasn't worried). We left, got half way there and I realized I forgot my purse and with it my ID and insurance card, so we turned around to get that, by time we got into the house I had to change clothes....then we headed off again to the hospital!
We arrived at the emergency entrance (before 6 am you go there) and got awesome parking! Checked in, all was well, I wasn't uncomfortable or anything. I did miss my chance to snap a final pregnant picture as they had me change into those ever so glamorous hospital gowns that don't close in the back right away...the contractions came faster this time than with Luke. At 3:30 I was in pain...I talked with my nurse and midwife, answered all the questions, etc...Nathan tried to get some sleep on the tiny little loveseat. I was mostly bored unless I had a contraction, they really hurt, but were infrequent and not patterned, so I didn't think to much about it. I expressed that I wanted an epidural once I reached 5cm, so I wasn't to concerned that I wouldn't get one, they knew I wanted one! I watch "Arrested Development" on Nathan's phone to pass some time. After a little while the nurse came in and suggested I take a Jacuzzi bath, she checked me and I was only 3cm, she said it could help sooth me during contractions and either slow things down a bit so it doesn't hurt so much or speed things up so I could get my epidural sooner. It was lovely, I would fall asleep for a couple minutes, have contractions (really painful ones) for a few minutes...then it hit...the vomiting. Nathan rushed in and grabbed the trash can for me to aim towards and got the nurse. She let me finish puking, and helped me get back to my bed to check me. Then she said "it looks like you are going to have a baby" I said "yes, where is the anesthesiologist?" She said "well I called her and she isn't here yet, I can call her again if you'd like" Me "yes, please!" I was in SO much pain, the contractions were so intense! My Midwife came in and the nurse seemed so relieved...they then told me that I wouldn't be getting an epidural b/c it was time to push...um Excuse me? less than an hour ago I got into a bath at 3cm, it is NOT time to push! During the 5 or so minutes before I knew I was delivering and the nurse was trying to get the correct personal together I told Nathan he should go get food as he hadn't eaten in quite a while, and almost convinced him to leave, since it would be a while before I had the baby... glad he didn't listen!
As soon as the midwife came in she told me I needed to push, I told her no, I was that annoying lady crying and yelling "I CAN'T DO THIS
!!!!" They told me yes you can, and focus on breathing and all those things. They tried to get me to lay down, but it wasn't comfortable, I told them I needed to squat so they adjusted the bed and I managed to push his head out in a couple pushes, but then I was numb, I couldn't feel anything and his shoulders were stuck! They told me to push and made me lay down so they could assist the delivery. The midwife had to pull on him a little for him to get out! I didn't get my wish to wait on cutting the cord as they had to look at him right away. They told us there was a possibility his clavicle was broken, and they would need to do an x-ray (he is fine no breaks!) but otherwise was fine. He was born on July 10th at 6:07AM, weighed 8lbs 15oz and was 22inches long.
Also the hospital was insanely full so we left a little early to make room for other deliveries, we didn't have him named when we left, but we sent off the paperwork just a couple days ago now! His full name is Eison Michael Ender Perry, he is sweet and awesome and we love him!!!
and now for a few pictures of his first couple days!
 |
| proud big brother sitting with Grandma! |
 |
| he loves his baby brother so much! |
 |
| relaxing |
 |
| hanging out with Dad |
 |
| going home from the hospital! |
Hopefully I update again with all of the goings-on around here, it has been a crazy month with a new baby, re-siding our house and Nathan getting a promotion!
Congratulations! I think it's awesome that you were able to do it all natural even if it was unintentional. You rock! It's also great that they let you sit in the tub after your water was broken. Once my water broke with Clara, they wouldn't let me sit in the tub anymore. :/ Your sons are beautiful/handsome. <3
ReplyDeleteVery exciting and you are amazing for going through birth without an epidural. So many blessings in your life right now and many more to come I'm sure! Congrats and he is so adorable!
ReplyDelete