Monday, August 9, 2010

Internship

As part of Nathan's degree he has to have an extern/internship, I get confused what to call it. The school calls it and externship (b/c it is separate from the education they give him?), but for whomever he works for he is interning, so anyway, my confusion aside, he has to have one to finish his degree. Well he has a "graduation" ceremony this Thursday, and he has to complete this ex/internship within one year....I was under the impression it would be good for him to apply to restaurants months ago, have something lined up so we knew exactly what was going on after classes end, but things don't work the way I plan them.  

Let me take a moment here to say that although becoming a chef doesn't seem like a fast-track to a good paying job in my mind, I definitely think it is the right career for Nathan. Not just because he is awesome at cooking, or really enjoys it, but b/c of how the Lord has provided a way for Nathan to get this education. When we were looking to move to Coos Bay for Nathan to start school we could not find a place to live, we looked for months! Nothing was working out, thankfully a sister in our ward in Corvallis listened to the spirit and asked one of her friends who grew up here in Coos Bay if she knew anything/or anyone in the area. Sure enough her friend's sister lives in Coos Bay. A few more trips later and still no success in finding a home it was crunch time....maybe past crunch time, it was Friday, classes started that very next Monday...one weekend away and we had no home. I called the sister in Coos Bay bawling, (thank you Leslie for still liking me, you must have thought I was a basket case!) she called a friend, who happened to have moved to Alaska recently and could use to have their home rented. Just like that, the Lord provided! Certainly a test of faith, but one that paid off!

So what does this have to do with the internship thing? Well Nathan has to have one right? He is about to be finished with classes and only has one year to get it done right? Well the challenge with that is we are staying here b/c he is on a competition team and there aren't an abundance of nice restaurants around here. He tried to get a hold of the executive chef at a fancy place in a town 40 min. away with no luck, he asked a friend of a friend about a an opportunity at his place, but they have someone already. So he last week he looked at restaurants that are hiring, and decided to apply to the two that are nice enough to be worth his while, and if he gets the job it can also be an internship. The first place he went to had just filled the position he was applying to, so he went to the next place, and got hired on the spot! I am so proud of him!

The restaurant is Cafe Mediterranean, oddly enough one of Nathan's favorite cuisines is Mediterranean! We are super excited for him to start this opportunity, and learn how to make authentic Med food!!!! Of course on our last family outings I have forgotten to bring the camera, so instead I will leave a few cute shots of Luke in underwear (not potty training yet, that is a whole other story!)

Luke's cute tush, and our messy desk....
He was pretty excited to take out his Lincoln Logs
He was using the log as a drumstick and the box as a drum.
he is a rock-star
p.s. I apologize, this seems a bit long winded

No comments:

Post a Comment