Luke has a new companion for the next week (hopefully that is all), and he does not like it one bit. Luke has been coughing for 3 1/2 weeks, so we took him to the doctor. I assumed they would say it is a virus or just his allergies and there isn't much you can do about it (isn't that what they ALWAYS say?). So anyway I went over his symptoms, he was examined etc, then Dr. Moore told us that it is his allergies -not surprising- but the Zyrtec isn't doing enough for him, and due to his allergies he is at risk for becoming asthmatic, when she listened to his chest she did hear one wheeze (it is required to have two or more before it is asthma, I hope that never happens) so she wanted him to add Singulair and she had the nurse bring in "Darth Vader" aka a nebulizer. It did not go well. All the nurses came to our room -at one time- to check on him while we tried to administer it....it. was. rough. And my joy expanded when she told me he would need this 4 times a day for a week, then we go in for a check up in a week to see if he has to have it longer (heaven forbid). Anyway we have done it a couple times now and he is handling it pretty well.
"Darth Vader"
He was trying to smile for the camera, despite being terrified
Drinking Mom's tea
I have been letting him drink my Chamomile tea with local honey in it to help with his allergies and cough, he loves it and calls it "honey"...funny thing is he also calls Nathan "honey", I guess I need to work on not calling him that so much in front of Luke!
He was just taking the vitamins and the allergy medicine, now he has his the prescription here and the Albuteral in his nebulizer :( He thinks the multivitamin and the Singulair are candy, and he also loves taking his Zyertec (so we buy generic... it works the same!), so thankfully none of these are a fight!
"All Done?"
The whole time we did his treatment last night he was saying "all done, all done" this is from when I showed it to him when we actually were all done...he wasn't pleased...
He gets star wars fruit snacks when he is having an especially hard time with it.
This was quite an unexpected result from what I thought would be a fairly routine visit to the doctor, but I am so grateful that Luke is a reasonably healthy child, he has no serious illnesses. He also has a wonderful doctor, and we live in a time with wonderful medical technology, so children with allergies don't HAVE to become people with asthma! (I know he is still at risk, but I don't think it will happen!)
No comments:
Post a Comment